Bedford County Conservation District

subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link | subglobal1 link
subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link | subglobal2 link
subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link | subglobal3 link
subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link | subglobal4 link
subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link | subglobal5 link
subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link | subglobal6 link
subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link | subglobal7 link
subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link | subglobal8 link

Conservation District History, Board of Directors, and Staff

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Bedford County Conservation District encourages stewardship and conservation of natural resources for this and future generations.

Over 50 years ago, recognizing the need to support grassroots conservation efforts, state legislators passed the "Soil Conservation Law" of 1945 Act 217 of the Pennsylvania General Assembly . Today there is a conservation district established in every Pennsylvania county, except Philadelphia. A Board of Directors made up of local people from all walks of life leads each conservation district. These volunteers study county natural resource issues and make decisions that enhance and protect their community. Conservation Districts employ managers and staff personnel to implement programs and activities.

The Bedford County Commissioners declared the county a Conservation District in 1956. Original board members were Paul Stein, Randolph Hite. Paul Clarke, Elmer Foor Sr., Howard Burkett, and Glenn Clouse. The following year the first Soil Conservation Field Day was held in the county. In 1968, the district conducted its first land-judging contest and, in 1971, its first tree sale. The first staff person was hired in 1974. A poster contest was initiated in 1975 and in 1976, authority for conducting a Erosion and Sedimentation Control Program was transferred to the District. The progenitor of today's Envirothon, the Environmental Olympics, got its start in 1981. The District began its no-till program with purchase of a no-till corn planter in 1984. That year, twenty-five farmers used this equipment to plant 630 acres. In 2008, the no-till equipment rental program was used by about 200 county farmers planting nearly 7800 acres.

Board of Directors

James Bence - Chairman

John Akers – Vice Chairman

Don Llewellyn – Treasurer/Secretary

Paul Crooks – County Commissioner Director

Allen Baker

Richard J. Emerick, II

James F. Eshelman

Kay Kring

Ronald Stanley

Associate Directors 

John Eshelman

Nevin Sollenberger

 

Bedford County Conservation District Staff

    District Manager - Jennifer Lentz Kovacs

Agriculture Team Coordinator - Dan Over

Fiscal Technician - Darla Guyer

Recycling Coordinator/Conservation Education Specialist - Regina Miller

Resource Technician/Erosion and Sedimentation Control - Michael Felix

Chesapeake Bay Program Technician - Cody Waltemire

PA Envirothon Executive Director - Lorelle Steach

Equipment Handler - James Saylor

Watershed Specialist - Guy Stottlemyer

 

 

 

 

Contact Us